San Diego Comic-con 2016 trip

If you don't like BIG crowds, Comic-con is not for you.
I was fortunate enough to attend my second San Diego Comicon this year thanks to my good friend Jeremy Love.  It was an amazing trip with lots of twists and turns.  Read on for my full account of this years totally insane SDCC 2016!

The first thing you need to know about San Diego Comic-con is that if you are not a SERIOUS Super-Hero, Comic, Cosplay or action figure super nerd, then Comic-con might not be for you.  It's MASSIVE.  That's the best way I can describe it.  The convention center is big and its chock full of humanity.  People from all walks of life, from every type of geek realm imaginable 110,000 of them ALL converging on the same convention center at the same time.  Imagine 100,000 people all trying to get a glimpse of 'something' they are super passionate about all in the same half mile square area at the same time.  Comic-con attendees for the most part are very kind and courteous but their are exceptions.

The few negative aspects of my experience are not enough to dissuade me from continuing to go back.  The biggest detractor is cost.  Luckily for me I am blessed with an industry insider who hooks me up.  San Diego hotel's during the Convention can run $300+ a night and entry per day is also very expensive.  The other negative aspect of Comic-Con is the amount of people.  It's hard to describe but I included several pics to give you an idea.  Directly in front of the convention center you have a light rail line, buses shuttling people in and out, cars and 100,000 people to navigate through.

I'd vote for this dude before I voted for the real Trump.
The positive aspects of Comic-Con are hard to describe.  If you are into Super-Hero movies, you've reached Nirvana.  Comic book fans are also in hog heaven as there is a mind boggling amount of panels, premier's, exclusive toy releases, and everything and anything else comic book related going on.  Cos-players are also in heaven as there are competitions, panels that help Cos players with costume design and creation etc. etc.  Cos-players and the people who stand in line for two days for... celeb panels really are the craziest people at the Con in my opinion.  And it's really crazy how many of those types of people their are.  You can't take two steps without bumping into someone dressed up as a Pink Wookiee carrying a crossbow with 2 other matching Wookiee's in head to tow costumes probably sweating their asses off, running to get to some Wookiee flash mob breakdance dance off against a squad of Ewok cos-players.  One of my favorite parts of SDCC is the toys.  Toy companies from all over the world use Comic-con as a place to showcase new toys and also to create exclusives for the con itself.  Many of these toys are hugely sought after by collectors who will pay top dollar to have one.  I saw gobs of money being spent at these booth's strictly on little plastic figures that sometimes resembled Super-Hero's, video game characters and an array of other characters from all spectrum's of the known fan-verse.

My overall experience was positive.  This is my second SDCC, thanks to Jeremy, and I feel that I got to see a lot more of the stuff that I'm interested in then last time.  Also I left my son at home so that helped speed everything up.  I did end up going to a local tattoo artist and got a new tattoo, see the pics below.  That experience was awesome but obviously painful.  The artist worked with me on his price (San Diego artists charge alot more then Stockton tattoo artists) and I ended up very happy with my tattoo.  I am looking forward to SDCC 2017!  Please check out the rest of the pictures from my trip below!
Star Trek figures


A Rankor cosplayer almost passed out while walking around outside.

He-Man 3 3/4 figures

Street Fighter Muscles!!!
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out T-shirt 

Tattoo from Adam Hawthorne (IG HonkeyKonger)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pictures from August 2016 ILWU Local 54 Port of Stockton